POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mr. _____ is dead! : Re: Mr. _____ is dead! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mr. _____ is dead!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Feb 2009 15:30:42
Message: <49a99ef2$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 02:07:40 -0800, Chambers wrote:

> On 2/27/2009 9:08 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> There are many who do not remove from their list (a) after scrubbing,
>> or (b) at the caller's request.  There are quite a few now who actively
>> ignore requests to call and aren't even up front about what they are
>> calling about.
>
> Such actions are illegal; I have no sympathy for those who actively
> break the law.

Which is most of them in my experience.  Being on the DNC list and
receiving a dozen calls a week or so from various organisations may mean
that my incidence of legitimate calls is abnormally low (because there
are very few actual legitimate calls that are permitted by law to come
through in the first place).

>> The whole idea of telemarketing is just a waste IMHO.  I don't buy
>> things on the phone, most people I know don't buy things on the phone,
>> especially from cold calls.  I have a need, I research a product, and I
>> get the one that fits my need.  I generally think advertising in and of
>> itself is largely a waste when it's targeted at me because I don't
>> respond to it and generally am not influenced by it.
>
> The thing is, telemarketing will go away when it stops being profitable.
>   Enough people buy things from telemarketers to continue the practice.

Exactly.

>>> (Now, the ones who repeatedly call you, constantly interrupt you, and
>>> try to steamroll you into something, I hate - they give the rest of
>>> them a bad name, and deserve all the pranks that get played on them.)
>>
>> I haven't actually run across any who use the technique responsibly - I
>> think many people are in the same boat I am, which is why the reaction
>> tends to be as strong as it is.
>
> My wife works for a company, called Vector Marketing, that sells
> cutlery.  They're responsible about their calling, honoring requests to
> not be called and such, and are always courteous on the phone (although
> <5% of their calls are cold calls).
>
> I also worked for a company that sold windows & siding, where >95% of
> the calls were cold calls, and we also were decent about things.
>
> Those are, of course, only two companies, but still it's encouraging to
> know that there are some like that.

A very small minority of organizations IME.

Jim