POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mr. _____ is dead! : Re: Mr. _____ is dead! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mr. _____ is dead!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Feb 2009 00:08:09
Message: <49a8c6b9$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:30:16 -0800, Chambers wrote:

> Most likely, they aren't actually violating the DNC list.  They're only
> required to scrub against it every 3 months; they can add a number, call
> it for three months, and then check the list.

There are many who do not remove from their list (a) after scrubbing, or
(b) at the caller's request.  There are quite a few now who actively
ignore requests to call and aren't even up front about what they are
calling about.

Then there are those who attempt to circumvent it by doing a "survey" -
which is exempt from the DNC list.  Thing is, they're really trying to
get in for the sale, and the survey method is their way of avoiding the
law.

> I actually sympathize with the telemarketers.  It's a tough job that
> everyone hates, but there are a lot of good people who really aren't
> trying to rip you off.  The least you could do is be courteous with
> them.

I generally don't answer the phone when the call is from a number I don't
recognize.  I wish they'd get a clue after the 3rd or 4th call not being
answered, but they generally don't.  Many places use automated dialers
and often they're dialing many numbers at a time and the only person who
gets a live person on the other end (from the calling organisation) is
the first of a dozen or so who answer the phone.

The whole idea of telemarketing is just a waste IMHO.  I don't buy things
on the phone, most people I know don't buy things on the phone,
especially from cold calls.  I have a need, I research a product, and I
get the one that fits my need.  I generally think advertising in and of
itself is largely a waste when it's targeted at me because I don't
respond to it and generally am not influenced by it.

> (Now, the ones who repeatedly call you, constantly interrupt you, and
> try to steamroll you into something, I hate - they give the rest of them
> a bad name, and deserve all the pranks that get played on them.)

I haven't actually run across any who use the technique responsibly - I
think many people are in the same boat I am, which is why the reaction
tends to be as strong as it is.

Jim