POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's finally real! : Re: It's finally real! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's finally real!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Feb 2009 18:24:10
Message: <49a7249a$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:39:59 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Yep.  It's interesting to see the cycles.  It's been my observation
>> that those who identify the cycles tend to do much better in the IT
>> world - it means there's less change to deal with, and less change in
>> the IT world makes it less overwhelming - even if there are
>> implementation differences, recognising the similarities to older
>> technology can really help you learn the new stuff.
>
> I guess both fat clients and thin clients have advantages? That's why
> the industry oscilates between them. When you're using one, the other
> looks so much greener. Until you start using it again...

Yes, that often is the case.  Business people and IT people both tend to
see a shiny new hammer, and every problem is solved by it because every
problem is a nail....

Except that every problem *isn't* a nail, and sometimes a different
solution is called for.

But people like working with shiny new things rather than dirty old
things - so when there's a shiny new thing (even if it's modeled after an
ancient mud-encrusted thing), they want to find every chance to use that
shiny new thing.

Jim