POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : wrapping height-field around a complex shape : Re: wrapping height-field around a complex shape Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wrapping height-field around a complex shape
From: Chris B
Date: 26 Feb 2009 14:57:14
Message: <49a6f41a@news.povray.org>
"aelgoa" <wra### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> i'm trying to wrap several dozens of height-fields around a curved shape
> (similar to an S-shape)
>
> how would i go about this?
> do i use a spline or an iso-surface? and how do i correct the orientation?
>
> the result should look as if the shape has an irregular "skin" or "hair"
> covering the entire (cylindrical) surface
>
> thank you in advance

Nobody seems to have taken up on this question so I'll give it a shot.

You can use a heightfield as a function in an isosurface so, if you can
define the cylindrical S-shape you want as a function, you may be able to
suitably combine a single heightfield with  the S-shape. Mike Williams'
isosurface tutorial may give you some inspiration for this sort of thing.

I can't think how you'd go about wrapping several dozen height fields around
such a shape because it would be difficult to imagine how you could get them
to mesh together in any sort of a decent way.

If you don't have to use height fields, then there are quite a few hair
growth macros about (there's one on the POV-Ray object collection), so you
may be able to achieve what you want with one of those. You can get an
S-shape using a sphere sweep which you could grow hair out of. If you're
after a sort of skin texture, then you might want to use a mesh object with
a uv-mapped image map to provide the texture.

Regards,
Chris B.