POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange normal mangling issue : Re: Strange normal mangling issue Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange normal mangling issue
From: Chris B
Date: 26 Feb 2009 04:36:45
Message: <49a662ad$1@news.povray.org>
"HadleyRille" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.49a58c5bb203a2a6483613820@news.povray.org...
>I have a friend who's using POV-Ray to render a model I built for her.  I
>used
> Poseray to convert it from a lwo to a POV scene.  I tested it, and was
> able to
> get this using POV 3.6.1c under WindowsXP:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/johnknoll/in/aptera_pov_render.jpg
>
> My friend takes the same scene, renders it using POV 3.6.1 under Linux,
> and gets
> this:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/johnknoll/in/lores_aptera4.png
>
> It sure looks like the normals are getting mangled, but it renders fine
> for me.
> I expect that this is some issue with the linux build, but she claims to
> have
> rendered many POV scenes including mesh objects and hasn't seen this issue
> before.  The only difference here is that the model came from Poseray.
> Any
> thoughts about what might be going on, or what we might try to fix it?

Going from the top: Either the file got changed in some way between your
machine and her machine, or it's a difference in the way the linux and
windows builds deal with something in that particular file.

Check for errors/warnings in your message stream. Also check her message
stream for any errors/warnings.

Try getting a copy of the misbehaving file back from her and rendering it on
your machine. If you sent the file as a flat text file through email then
it's possible that some part of the editing/emailing/saving process has made
an operating system dependant or locale dependant change to the file. So try
to use a different technique to get the file back (e.g. memory stick, or zip
the file and send as binary). If you simply reverse the process you used to
send the file then the change could get reversed , masking the cause, so
using a very different technique to get the file back may help expose the
cause.

If that fails, get her to post a copy of the misbehaving file on
povray.text.scene-files or a compressed copy on povray.binaries.scene-files
and I'm sure people will take a look at it for you to see if there's
anything wrong with the format.

Regards,
Chris B.