POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The place is falling apart : Re: The place is falling apart Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The place is falling apart
From: Tom Austin
Date: 25 Feb 2009 12:27:31
Message: <49a57f83$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Indeed, when our hard-hitting new interrim CEO joined the company, his
> goal was not "increase profits" or "reduce debts" - it was "increase our
> share price".
>
> Uh, WTF?

Officers are appointed by the board of directors for a company.  Board
members are elected by the shareholders.

Guess what shareholders want....  usually an increase in share value, or
dividends.

Those who are officers in a company are very close to the shareholders,
and therefore that's their focus.

> As far as I'm aware, a company's share price is an arbitrary number
> decided by a bunch of people who know nothing about the company in
> question. In other words, it's not actually possible to control share
> prices; they just vary at random. In particular, a share price is in no
> way related to how well a company is or isn't doing.

Yes, share prices can be misleading - it's mostly an indicator of how
much people want the stock.  If it is in high demand - share prices tend
to go up - if it is in low demand, share prices go down.  By making a
company 'look' more desirable one can cause share prices to go up - but
that all can be a sham - look at Enron, MCI Worldcom, etc....

> Most specifically, raising your share price doesn't stop you from going
> into liquidation. :-P I would have thought keeping the company trading
> would be a far, *far* more important target than raising some arbitrary
> number that nobody actually cares about. But what do I know?

No, it doesn't.  But it can make a company look more valuable,
especially if another merger is possibly coming up.  The shareholders
are the ones that usually win.  In the end the paid worker just gets a
check - if they are lucky.