POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : BOOM! Head-crash : Re: BOOM! Head-crash Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BOOM! Head-crash
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Feb 2009 11:21:49
Message: <49a5701d$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Whooohah!
>
> I thought RAID systems were designed to even survive loss of a *complete* hard
> disk?!

They are.

What they handle less well is when a drive's SCSI interface decides to
send garbage over the SCSI link, thwarting communication with all the
other drives.

What it also doesn't handle is when two drives simultaneously die.

And, finally, it doesn't survive if the controller itself malfunctions.

I'm not sure if I've got two broken drives or one broken RAID
controller, but I can't get any sense out of the thing right now.