POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The place is falling apart : The place is falling apart Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  The place is falling apart
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Feb 2009 04:58:12
Message: <49a51634$1@news.povray.org>
Allow me to set the scene:

Under previous management, the UK site employed round about 30 people.
Each year, we'd employ one, maybe two new people, and possibly as many
as two people would leave.

However, with the UK now being run by Fathead, things are a little
different. This year alone, we've had 5 new people hired, and 3 people
leave. And we're only in Feb!

The process seems to be accelerating too.

Now, I can't find the message, but I'm *certain* I mentioned here the
saga of our newest recruit. Basically the story goes like this: One of
our guys is retiring. His job function is critically important. So,
Fathead set about recruiting his replacement. Nothing strange there.

So, Fathead spent money advertising a post. He spent time interviewing
candidates. And he told one of them, in writing, "hey, you got the job".
Our staff spent 3 days training this guy. And then, on the 3rd day,
Fathead strolls into the office where some staff are talking to the new
guy, and he says "oh, by the way, I'm terribly sorry about this, but we
aren't going to employ you". Five minutes later, he'd left the building.
WTF?

Apparently it has been decided at top-level that we're on a hiring
freeze. Anybody who leaves the company will not be replaced. No matter
how important their job is. (Gee, that's a viable plan then.) And
apparently Fathead only found this out when he tried to set up the new
recruit's payroll details. The CFO summarily told Fathead we can't
employ this guy. End of discussion.

All of which is pretty absurd, I'm sure you'll agree. But wait...

Chapter two emerged yesterday. Apparently our second receptionist... no
longer works for us. Just like that. And Fathead was over in the USA
last week, and he jumped up and down and stamped his feet, and they're
now letting us replace the guy who's retiring. (Given how critical his
role is.)

...and The *Real* WTF is... the guy who we just let go still wants the
job! o_O So he's back again.

This is just getting absurd. It seems like every week we have a meeting
and discover that some random member of staff no longer works for us. No
warning or anything. They go home one day, and just never come back
again the next day. And one day you find some random people milling
around, and somebody asks me if he has a user account yet. (Presumably
with the hiring freeze at least *that* won't happen any more...)

This is ridiculous. This is no way to run a company...