POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spline parameters : Re: Spline parameters Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spline parameters
From: Chris B
Date: 24 Feb 2009 10:31:55
Message: <49a412eb$1@news.povray.org>
"twister" <twi### [at] o2pl> wrote in message
> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
>> These are fairly arbitrary values that you can think of in a number of
>> different ways. It's like a 4th dimension that you can use to index how
>> far
>> through the spline you are, but you can really choose what you consider
>> this
>> index to represent.
>
> To be honest I cannot say these values are arbitrary ones because they
> have
> strong impact on the spline shape. Besides, following spline is wrong and
> povray returns an error: "Parse Error: Degenerate cylinder, base point =
> apex
> point." It means I cannot define these values in whatever manner I like.
>
> #declare mySpline = spline {
> quadratic_spline
> 1, <0,0,0>,
> 2, <1,1,0>,
> 3, <2,1,0>,
>

> }

By 'arbitrary' I meant they don't represent anything specific and can have
more or less any values that you like.
The above spline didn't return an error when I just pasted it into a scene
file and ran it through the parser and the error you mention relates to a
cylinder rather than a spline, so I suspect it was generated by another part
of your scene file.

>> The help suggests thinking of it as time, which is handy when you do
>> animations. I usually set it so that the first physical point on the
>> spline
>> starts at 0 and the last point ends at 1. This means that in animations
>> it's
>> easy to use it with the clock variable to step along the spline in
>> equally
>> sized time slices.
>
> I can think of these values as a "timestamps", but they shouldn't change
> the
> spline shape!

I don't think they do change the shape of the spline.

>> Any help?
>
> Still confused...

Well it may be one of those things that just suddenly clicks when someone
describes it in a certain way, so I'll leave it to others to have a go.

Regards,
Chris B.