POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fun project - point clouds : Re: fun project - point clouds Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fun project - point clouds
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 23 Feb 2009 13:35:33
Message: <49a2ec75$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:
> what can I say - you've gone way above and beyond what I have expected
> anyone to do.  You must be really excited about this stuff.

Every year I like doing a few small free-time programing projects just
so I can get some variety in what I code and some of the quick
gratification that comes form finishing a small project.  This seemed to
be a pretty fun problem to choose for one of them!

> I've been pretty busy myself lately, but I have been able to look over
> the programs that you presented - I especially like the one from
> washington.edu - but some of the others look very promising as well.

I hope they work well -- the algorithms will certainly by much more
sophisticated than what I wrote.

> The code that you posted is great - humbles me greatly in my knowledge
> of 3D and data handling.  It is much appreciated.  I will try to work it
> in this week to take a look at it.

I am too flattered by your kind words.  If you have any trouble
understanding any piece of the code.  The data structure I used was a
binary triangle tree similar to that employed by the ROAM algorithm:
http://www.cognigraph.com/ROAM_homepage/

> What can I do in return for your help?
> Maybe some of the 3D data that I have lying around?

No need to worry about repaying me in any way, I wouldn't have done it
if I didn't enjoy it.  If I do end up having a use for some 3D laser
scan data, however, I'll let you know!

Actually, wait, I can think of one thing.  How about, if you get
something nice working for this project, you post a small video so I can
see what it ended up looking like?