POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
9 Oct 2024 16:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Feb 2009 06:08:15
Message: <49a2839f$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I have no power to prevent them changing things (either through
>> technology or politics). I don't even really have the ability to
>> detect changes when they happen. But I definitely *am* held legally
>> responsible for this.
>
> I don't think you would be held legally responsible if they are changing
> things without you knowing, any half-decent lawyer would get you out of
> that one.

It's more that when auditors walk in and demand to know why X happened,
you're not really allowed to say "well that's because some idiot who
doesn't know the correct authorisation procedure decided to change it
without bothering to notify me". Because, see, these people are our
customers, and we *want* their business. So I can't actually admit to
them that the company I work for is completely incompetent. So the net
result is that they walk away thinking *I* am completely incompetent.
This makes me very angry.

> If you want to be on the safe side, then draft a document that states
> any consequences of changes made without your consent will not be your
> responsibility.  Then get your boss to sign it, if he refuses announce
> that therefore you must take measures to prevent physical and electronic
> access to all the systems you are responsible for.  Then disconnect the
> internet line to the US and see how long before he agrees to sign it :-)

Cute, but I suspect they'd simply summarily fire me.

OTOH, Fathead will probably sign anything... Hmm, maybe I should hand
him a cheque?