POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who says .NET is slow...? : Re: Who says .NET is slow...? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who says .NET is slow...?
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Feb 2009 15:48:46
Message: <49a1ba2e$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Maybe it is, but everything is still managed code. The JIT should
> produce efficient code, for sure, and it does. I was just happy to see
> that an effect like this can be achieved, and with a relatively large
> frame buffer. That's all I guess. Some seem to think that the .NET
> framework, or that JIT environments are too slow for these sorts of
> tricks, or effects.

True. People who never really think about the issues tend to just listen to
the FUD.

> I think, didn't someone port Quake to Managed C++?

Yes, but I'm not sure they ported the "hard parts". As in, it was something
like a few hundred lines of code written over the course of a handful of
hours to "port" it. I don't think they (for example) moved all the data
structures into managed space, other than perhaps the screen and keyboard I/O.

> Right, the GDI+ functions are generally pretty good for most drawing
> situations.

I thought the transformation matrix approach to color control was pretty
cool. Probably pretty common across toolkits, I'd guess, tho.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)