POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Feb 2009 15:43:47
Message: <49a1b903$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Of course, if it was just some dump-ass teacher, it wouldn't matter so
> much. The problem was that *everybody* told me I was stupid. Throughout
> my whole life. Hence my self-evident mental issues. x_o

Yes. Getting constantly put down will eventually lead to problems.

Get over it. You're not stupid. Everyone else was, for telling you you are.

> ...wait, are you that guy who has a Chinese wife?

Yes.

> OK, that's just mental. At college, we had 14 guys, 0 girls. At uni we
> had [approximately] 75 guys and 5 girls [almost all married with children].

Undergradutate, yes. We had something like 25 guys and 3 girls in the
classes when I was undergrad.

> Heh. My mum's first reaction was "and what are you going to do after
> that?" Not that my mum's opinion is especially important. I was just
> wondering how much she'd freak out. ;-)

I think the right answer is "live far away from *you*!" :-)

>> It doesn't matter if you finish or not, any more than running a
>> marathon is about whether you come in first.
>
> I never understood this... The ENTIRE POINT of a marathon is to finish
> it! How is not finishing it still OK? Weird people...

I didn't say finish. I said "win" the marathon.

In any case, getting the PhD is a learning process. If you stop early, it's
because you decided you don't want to learn what it is you started studying,
and you're still no worse off than you were.

> Ah. Is *that* why every country in the EU speaks English, but the
> English can't speak any damned language except English? :-} I often
> wonder about that...

Yes. You didn't figure that out? That's why there's like 200 languages in
India, but everyone speaks English. And why Americans mostly speak English.
And why lots of Africa speaks English. And why lots of central and south
america speak spanish or something close to it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)