POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 22 Feb 2009 14:19:30
Message: <49a1a542@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> It's kinda a mix of the radio version and the BBC TV version.  You get
> the "dish of the day", for example, which appears in the TV version.
> Personally, I prefer the Hagunennons to Hotblack Desiato

Agreed - the idea of disaster area was very funny, but I thought the
hagunenons (far too many 'n's in that name) were better too.

> was interesting to see David Prowse outside the Darth Vader outfit - and
> to hear why Lucas had to use James Earl Jones to do the voice for that
> character in the Star Wars films.

*grin* I reckon Prowse's broad west accent sound is about the least
suitable voice for Vader I could possibly imagine!

> But Mark Wing-Davey nailed the role in the radio version and
> the TV version.

Completely. "Hand me the rap-rod, plate captain!"

> I expected Mos Def to do much better than he did.  His interpretation was
> just flat, though.  I preferred Geoffrey McGivern's interpretation over
> all of them, though I understand why he couldn't do the TV version (hard
> to be an "impoverished hitchhiker" given how large he is).

Haha, interesting, I never knew that. I don't think I've ever seen what
he looks like IRL... :)

> I was surprised, though, that I felt that Martin Freeman did an
> outstanding job as Arthur.  Given that Adams wrote the part essentially
> just for Simon Jones (kinda like the part for the book was written for
> someone with a "Peter Jones-y sort of voice"), I didn't think anyone
> could do the role justice.

He was very different. It didn't really spoil it for me, but I did have
trouble linking him in my mind to the character.

> Of all the Trillians, though, I preferred Susan Sheridan.  She came
> across as the most believable when it came to holding a degree in
> astrophysics.

Yes, the improbably-named Deschanel (how fitting!) was good in the film,
but the girl in the TV series was terrible. Far too ditzy and shallow.
As you say, the original was pretty definitive. She had such a sexy
voice too!

:)