POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who says .NET is slow...? : Re: Who says .NET is slow...? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who says .NET is slow...?
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Feb 2009 12:48:24
Message: <49a18fe8$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> I would think there's relatively little need to be slow in a program
>> like this, where it's all manipulation of fundamental structures. As
>> in, I would think the speed of a program like this in .NET wouldn't
>> necessarily be any slower than a similar program in plain C, unless
>> the JIT is just really bad.
>
> But, that's sort of my point. :) You don't need to be down to the wire
> to get fast performance out of the system.

OK. I'm just saying ... what makes you think it's not "down to the wire" in
this case?  It doesn't look like you're doing anything in the inner loops of
the tick that you couldn't do equally well in C, so why wouldn't the JIT
generate equivalently efficient code?

> There was. There are 2 ways to access the bitmap data. One by using the
> setpixel and getpixel functions. This is very slow. essentially every
> access to the pixel data requires a conversion to and from a color
> structure.

Cool. I've only done large-scale manipulations, not drawing pixel-by-pixel,
so I guess I never ran into that problem.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)