POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very very quiet : Re: Be very very quiet Server Time
10 Sep 2024 09:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Be very very quiet
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Feb 2009 11:37:08
Message: <49a17f34$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:23:39 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>
>> Most of the east coast cities have city blocks 1/10th of a mile on the long
>> side, and (IIRC) 1/5th of 1/10th of a mile on the short side. It makes it
>> convenient for knowing how far you have to go - it's 2 miles from 13th
>> street to 33rd street.
>
> Thanks, I did not know that. My vague memories of Miami and Pittsburgh were of
> much larger blocks.

Well, I'm speaking of the ones where most of the layout was before
automobiles - NYC, Philadelphia, etc.  Obviously it's not going to hold
across the board, but in the "old" cities, it's not too uncommon. (Assuming
they were planned at all, of course. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"