POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: andrel
Date: 21 Apr 2009 14:57:32
Message: <49EE171E.7020606@hotmail.com>
On 21-4-2009 17:59, Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> internet will adept to that. What happens if you add a connection to
>> your neighbour that has another ISP? Will that be illegal because you
>> now have access to sites your ISP does not want you to see?
>
> 	Actually, under typical TOS in the US, that _would_ be violating your
> TOS. I'm sure somewhere in the TOS of my ISP, it says that I will not
> share the Internet with other apartments. People do it all the time, but
> in a legal sense, you're violating the contract.
>
> 	To answer your question: Other than the TOS issue, it won't be illegal
> - apparently even with what I understand from the proposed law. If you
> circumvent the filters set in place by _your_ ISP to get access to a
> higher tier while paying for a lower one - that would definitely be bad.

Perhaps I should have stressed the 'because', I know there are other
reasons. OTOH the issue indeed won't arise as there will be plenty of
other more 'innocent' reasons to forbid it for the end user. For e.g.
universities (and big international firms) it could still be an issue as
they they may provide large bandwidth connections between them.