POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: andrel
Date: 21 Apr 2009 14:49:20
Message: <49EE1532.2070002@hotmail.com>
On 21-4-2009 17:52, Darren New wrote:
> scott wrote:
>> The ISP business is open and follows market demands, they will provide
>> for whatever the customers want.
>
> Not in the USA.  Aren't most telecom companies state-run in Europe? Am I
> allowed to open a new telephone company in (say) Germany and dig up the
> road and all, running new wires to houses in new developments?

The way that is handled here is that the monopolist company is split in
one that does the hardware and one that uses that hardware. You can
start a telephone or gas or electricity company and the company that
does the hardware has to provide you with the same service for the same
price as they do for their former monopoly part. In most cases the only
thing that changes when you change provider is that the header of the
invoice changes. And the price may differ, because that is the whole
point. With electricity and perhaps also gas (I am not handling those
invoices) you can even change from regular to green energy without any
physical change at your house.
I hope that is more or less understandable ;)

Needless to say that quite often it does not work as expected.