POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: andrel
Date: 21 Apr 2009 06:16:48
Message: <49ED9D11.20801@hotmail.com>
On 21-4-2009 11:46, scott wrote:
>>> You are talking like there is some basic human right that you should
>>> have access to every single website in existance?  Why on Earth
>>> should that be the case?
>>
>> 1) because that is how the internet started and has been run for
>> almost it's entire existence. "I'll pass on you packages because I
>> know someone else will pass on mine if and only if everybody does that".
>
> Sure, but that doesn't mean it's illegal not to.

I didn't mean to imply that. Merely that it was fundamental to the
internet and that tampering with it may result in unwanted effects.
Until now you can add a link between two existing networks and the
internet will adept to that. What happens if you add a connection to
your neighbour that has another ISP? Will that be illegal because you
now have access to sites your ISP does not want you to see?

>> We don't sell is valid, but I think Warp was more thinking along the
>> lines of not selling and making sure nobody else can sell it.
>
> But they are not doing that.  If the directive is passed through, there
> is nothing to stop an ISP deciding to "sell" or pass-on every single
> website - it's the individual ISP's choice.

That assumes a model where every ISP has access to all information and
is free to make there own policy. Imagine a layered structure. Imagine
that someone owns the point where the internet connects to the country.
Imagine big companies buying shares in ISP companies.