POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? : Re: Innovative open source? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 13:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Innovative open source?
From: andrel
Date: 4 Apr 2009 13:59:01
Message: <49D79FE3.4040408@hotmail.com>
On 4-4-2009 18:45, nemesis wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>>> Blender started life as an in-house, proprietary tool.  When the company
>>> was closing doors, they realized the tool was quite complete and good
>>> enough perhaps not for going commercial, but at least to serve as the
>>> basis for an open-source project.  And so they realized an online
>>> auction and when a certain ammount was gathered, they did release the
>>> source under the GPL.
>>>
>>> The community literally bought a former proprietary product and
>>> open-sourced it.  Even Stallman gone hurrah. :)
>> What I remember is that it started as a research project (at which stage
>> it may have been available for others, so that is why I though it might
>> qualify as an answer), was then tried commercially and when that did not
>> work converted to open source by the main developer.
>> The reason that it did not work may be related to being forced to do
>> (more than) full time 'maintenance' and 'support' because people were
>> paying.
>> That danger is why our software is available to fellow researchers for
>> free. We would like to do some research ourselves too.
>
> First time I hear of such research history.  Are you sure you are talking about
> Blender?

I am sure I meant Blender, I am not sure if I am confusing some stories
or filling in gaps. ;)
Memory is based on something someone that I worked with for some time
told me some years ago.
He worked later in a group where one of the developers of Blender also
ended up after NaN stopped. That was a group that was closely linked to
a university, so I assumed he (not Ton Roosendaal) had a university
background. So I just assumed it all started there.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)#History

Given that my memory is not that good and it was mentioned in passing
that is probably more accurate.