POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: andrel
Date: 29 Mar 2009 17:16:16
Message: <49CFE521.30804@hotmail.com>
On 29-3-2009 20:38, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:04:56 +0300, Eero Ahonen wrote:
>
>> Stephen wrote:
>>> Have you ever heard anyone saying "I drive better after a couple of
>>> drinks"?
>>>

>> They (yes, the famous they - I don't remember which magazine it was)
>> tested it at Finland some years ago. They had a computer with driving
>> simulator and everyone in the test took a one drink between driving
>> sessions. The results show that after 2-3 drinks most of them actually
>> were driving better than without. OTOH they drove the same track over
>> and over again (they had to to make sure that the results are
>> comparable) and learned how the track goes :). I guess no-one is
>> surprised to hear that there wasn't people surprisingly running to the
>> track oslt involved.
>>
>> -Aero
>
> Well, ISTR that most Finnish drivers go through what is described by some
> as the most intensive driving course in the world, and that the exams are
> actually difficult.

The Dutch is also very intensive. I think less than 40% get it on their
first exam. It is preceded by a theoretical part that has even a bit
more failures. It took me about 2 years and 4 tries to get my license.
The retries mainly because the examinators don't like the style of
driving of a 40 year old intellectual. Or at least that was the
explanation of my instructor. He predicted that after a couple of tries
I could ask for another type of examination and that I would succeed
then the first time. Which I did. It took that examinator about 100m to
figure out why I would never pass the normal exam and why that was
wrong. I, of course, got my theory in one try (twice*).
I think that the everage cost of a driver license here is a couple of
thousand euro's.
Question to check how your link with reality is: a Dutchman going to the
States for a couple of years or an American coming here. One has to do
an exam to convert to a valid local license: which one?

*) because it is only valid for one year.