POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: andrel
Date: 25 Mar 2009 03:35:07
Message: <49C9DEAD.8020901@hotmail.com>
On 25-3-2009 4:35, Chambers wrote:
> On 3/24/2009 1:55 PM, andrel wrote:
>> Good question. We tend to have people trained to evaluate the evidence.
>> I think that works here, but I know it fails in a lot of other places.
>
> What, you mean professional jurors?

No the judge.

> One of the basic tenets of our
> judicial system is a review by a jury of your peers, rather than
> professional jurors.

Indeed that is the main weakness of it ;) See my remark to Darren on why
everybody feels their own system is the best.

>> The suggestion in the video is that the police does not need real
>> evidence but can get convictions by twisting someones words into
>> "evidence".
>
> Do you think personal testimony is not evidence?

As the only source? No. Only if it contains verifiable facts.

>> I think you are probably right as long as you are middle class white. I
>> have heard some stories that not everybody is that lucky.
>
> Now you're conflating the issue with racial prejudices.

Not really. I was pointing out that as soon as you get public involved
you open up all sorts of possibilities that irrelevant details enter the
process. Sure that also happens with a judge, but at least you can train
them a bit. Again note that in the Dutch system the judge is appointed
without any political background. If that works (as it does here) it
works better than a jury IMHO. Yet if that fails like in your example
below, it fails worse.

> Anyway, as I said before, the main issue here is that we leave such
> determinations to a public jury.  They need to be convinced that there
> is no "reasonable" doubt of guilt.  The problem with leaving such
> determinations to the courts (or professional jurors, which amounts to
> the same thing because they become a part of the system) is that the
> courts themselves may be corrupted.

indeed.

> Our current system was put in place largely as a reaction to the abuse
> that the public suffered from the judicial system at the time.  Innocent
> people were being arrested but never charged with crimes, or convicted
> with little or no evidence.  In many cases, the authorities flat out
> lied about evidence in order to convict the men they were after.

You probably can guess what I am thinking now.