POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: andrel
Date: 22 Mar 2009 18:34:32
Message: <49C6BCF8.1090709@hotmail.com>
On 22-3-2009 20:10, Mike Hough wrote:
>> Or, alternately, they can ask you to reveal it if they promise not to
>> prosecute you for it. So they can ask the accountant to disclose the
>> password to the accounting files and promise not to prosecute the
>> accountant, but then use the information to prosecute the boss, for
>> example.
>
> Even in this case they are cutting a deal. Under no circumstances are you
> compelled to provide information that could incriminate yourself. They may
> promise not to prosecute but your ultimate dicision to waive your fifth
> amendment rights depends on whether or not you believe they have evidence to
> convict you.
>
> However, if you give a statement under oath and they can prove that
> statement is false they can get you for purjury. Also, any statement you
> give can be used in court to prosecute you even if you are guilty of
> nothing. That is why if they ask you for the password and you say nothing
> they will have no evidence to prosecute. If they ask for the password and
> you say you don't know what it is and they can prove you knew what it is,
> they can use that in court as evidence of guilt.
>
> I think this guy does a great job of explaining the fifth amenment
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865

You may be right that it explains the fifth amendment, but to me as a
foreigner it mainly emphasizes the idea that the US criminal system is
too easy to misuse to get innocent people convicted. I think I prefer
our system without a jury (and the somewhat related plea bargaining,
something that is often quoted as a reason why you can not extradite a
person to the US, because there is no guarantee that they will get a
fair trial).
I have to admit that I don't know exactly how the system here works,
what they tell you, what they record and to what extend a police officer
may lie or withhold information, but as far as I know there are not many
reasons for an average person to have to know that before being the
subject of an investigation. I may be wrong (but don't extrapolate any
US experience to assume I am).

I am also not completely sure that in the Netherlands you can prosecute
a suspect for perjury. I vaguely remember that you can not even ask a
first degree family member questions that may result in a conviction.
yet, IANAL.