POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : rrrggh..damned plebes... : Re: rrrggh..damned plebes... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rrrggh..damned plebes...
From: andrel
Date: 17 Mar 2009 18:08:57
Message: <49C01F7B.7060807@hotmail.com>
On 17-3-2009 23:00, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:17:29 +0100, andrel wrote:
>
>> Some
>> indication may be in how long it takes to get the system running again,
>> if that is more than a few days, the owner was probably innocent.
>
> That's not a very good indication; reinstalling an OS is easy.

Indeed, that is what I was thinking, so if they take a long time they
are most probably amateurs who unknowingly left open a door to intruders
(they did, we know that) and let other use their system.
If they reinstall fast they have either good support or are knowing
themselves. I would not take a bet on that, so my guess was that only a
long time before the IP can be pinged would mean something.
Other theories welcome.