POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mesh of triangles: how to specify the back side? : Re: mesh of triangles: how to specify the back side? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh of triangles: how to specify the back side?
From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 14 Mar 2009 14:08:08
Message: <49BBF238.2040504@joplin.com>
MelR wrote:
> Thank you to all who replied.  Leroy, how a normal is defined by the given
> sequence of triangle corners is something I've been looking for and have not
> previously been able to find.  Your definition is clear except for one detail:
> is the vector cross product a right or left-handed operation?  (Based on my
> limited familiarity with povray, I'm assuming it is a left-handed operation
> unless "right" has been specified, but I'm not certain.)

To tell the truth I don't know. I could never get my head around left or
right handed operation when turning it into code. I remember spining a
day or so playing with my figers,tring to turn them into triangles. It
was silly. I said to myself forget it, the code it what I need. So by
trial and error I got the code I needed for normals.
  Going over my old code I think with a triangle laying flat in the y=0
plane that starting at one point and going anticlockwise gathering
points the normal will point in the positive y direction.

> I will try the texture definitions as you've described.  Here, too, I've not
> been successful in discovering where in the documentation these issues are
> clearly discussed as they relate to triangles with both front and back textures
> as part of a mesh.  I appreciate your effort to address this directly.

3.4.2.3.1  Solid Mesh  in pov help file has a little.
I know there are some web sites out there that can be of help but I lost
all my bookmarks in a computer meltdown, sorry.

> So far I have been using (flat) triangles and not "smooth triangles".  In my
> efforts to far, povray has detected some compilation?/syntax? errors, but I
> don't know yet if these are due to errors in my expressions or errors in my
> understanding as to how an interior_texture applies to a (flat) triangle.  If
> you are aware that these discussion do not apply to a (flat) triangle and I
> must use a "smooth triangle" instead, please let me know.

The most common error with Mesh is dropping commas. When you drop one
inside a vector sometimes, not always, Pov will expand the vector. That
is if ya have <4.5,6.7> you'll get <4.5,6.7,0>.

There no difference when it comes to inside_vector between Flat and
smooth triangle meshs.

Have Fun!