POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: andrel
Date: 23 Feb 2009 13:19:13
Message: <49A2E896.6030104@hotmail.com>
On 23-2-2009 18:14, clipka wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> See, p.o-t never disappoints when talking about whatever sort of music.
>> There are always people who know about it. I now know that there are
>> some here that know and appreciate Moving Hearts, Blackmore's Night and
>> von Bingen. I can't remember any reaction when I mentioned Eric Bogle or
>> Meav, but no doubt there are some fans here. Anybody else got a good tip
>> about some less know music?
>
> Hum, let's see what I have in my playlist...
>
> Quite a bunch of irish / celtic / (british) folk artists, some of which may
> qualify as "less known" to "outsiders":
>
> Steeleye Span
I know them, don't have a record yet.
> or Clannad seem to have been quite popular names, I gather.
yes, and I had had a record before Harry's Game.
> Fairport Convention maybe less so.
Liege and Lief was one of my first albums
> Capercaille, anyone?
Rings a bell, I think I have heard some, but don't own a record.
> Loreena McKennit could
> be quite unknown to many "outsiders", though that's just a guess.
I know her, even met her and have a picture to prove it ;)

> Anyone remember Peter, Paul and Mary?
sort of.

> I won't mention the Bretonic harp player "Morgan" 'cause I guess she'll be *too*
> unknown. *Very* intriguing music (imagine Joan Baez' british-type folk music
> songs, but with the much "richer" harp, and replace Joan's occasionally shrill
> voice with a much more pleasant one; that'll get you close). I'll never forget
> her live performance in some small kind of pub, with an almost family-like
> atmosphere. Never heard of her before, or ever since.

Perhaps you can find something on youtube, you may know better what you
are looking for than me. It sounds interesting. Only bretonic harp
player that I know is Alan Stivell.

> Some "minstrels" - ballad singers - from my dad's record rack, some of which may
> have been forgotten:
>
> Gordon Lightfoot known to anyone? "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" is my favorite.
> Beautiful ballads.

don't have a record

> Kris Kristofferson did some beautiful ballads, too.
Perhaps.
> And then there's Leonard Cohen.

Ah yes, sure.

> I guess Donovan and John Denver (well, more of a contry musician than a ballad
> singer, the latter) are quite known at least to the older generation. Same with
> Cat Stevens.

yes, I think I will try some Yusuf Islam sometime.

> Steve Winwood's "John Barleycorn (Must Die)"
>

> Various others that I can't fit into any category:
>
> "Short Sharp Shocked" from punk rocker Michelle Shocked (a very un-punk-ish
> album if I have any idea of punk rock)

Should be on a list of things to try, but never came round to it, thanks
for reminding,

> Hazeldine known to anyone? Very powerful version of "Summer Wine" (originally
> known by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood), and a few other powerful pieces I'd
> classify as coutry/rock.
Doesn't ring a bell.

> Big Daddy might be totally unknown to most. They seem to have done mostly
> humorous retro-style cover versions of 80's and 90's pop music (e.g. "Money for
> Nothing" to music remniscient of "16 tons" and the like). They also did a cover
> version of the whole Beatles' "Sgt. Petter" album.
unknown

> Ladysmith Black Mambazo - the best songs IMHO being those they did together with
> Paul Simon, but did some good ones of their own, too.

I have a record and seen them live in our local theater.

> Another South African singer: Miriam Makeba.

Another one that should be on a list.

> I guess The Shadows are known to the older generation, and Fleetwood Mac and
> Creedence Clearwater Revival likewise.

Sure, I am older.

> Anyone remember "Bakerman" from "Laid Back"?

I don't

> Well... maybe not too much unknown stuff, but a bit may be in there. (Don't know
> if any of these meets your taste though)

Somethings may, but there are more people here ;)

Thanks.