POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
9 Oct 2024 16:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: andrel
Date: 22 Feb 2009 18:46:51
Message: <49A1E3E6.7020407@hotmail.com>
On 22-2-2009 20:47, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Heh. My mum's first reaction was "and what are you going to do after
> that?" Not that my mum's opinion is especially important. I was just
> wondering how much she'd freak out. ;-)

Wrong question. If you know that there is no need to do the PhD because
you already know what will come out of your studies. It is precisely
this where a PhD differs from a e.g. a BSc.

>> It doesn't matter if you finish or not, any more than running a
>> marathon is about whether you come in first.
>
> I never understood this... The ENTIRE POINT of a marathon is to finish
> it! How is not finishing it still OK? Weird people...

With a PhD, people know you have been trough the process. Just as with a
marathon the only important thing about having finished one is that that
signifies that you have run an entire one. The actual moment of
finishing itself is actually not important.

>> That's fair.  Part of the fun is living in a different country, mind.
>> (Not that I did, but ...)   I can completely understand if it isn't
>> fun, tho. Do take advantage of the fact that you speak one of the
>> languages that ran rampant all over the world not too long ago, so you
>> can get by language-wise pretty much anywhere. China was the only
>> place I've been that people generally didn't know enough English to
>> get by.
>
> Ah. Is *that* why every country in the EU speaks English, but the
> English can't speak any damned language except English? :-} I often
> wonder about that...

Well, there are the French of course as a counterexample.