POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : curious: degenerate triangles and cameras : Re: curious: degenerate triangles and cameras Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: curious: degenerate triangles and cameras
From: Chris B
Date: 21 Feb 2009 04:48:30
Message: <499fcdee$1@news.povray.org>
"joost_1972" <joo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> First, I've made a generic macro to create different kinds of roofs for
> houses
> with round edges. Now I get a loads of degenerate triangles messages
> (please
> remove...). Is this a problem? And why does povray simply not render a
> degenerate triangle, while a degenerate cylinder causes an error and stop
> in
> rendering altogether?

This simply means that two or more points on those triangles are in the same
place (or very close together). If you're generating the triangles, then you
could add logic into your macro to avoid or suppress degenerate triangles,
but I don't think they're a serious problem, so you could just live with the
messages. I think it's just warning messages and that POV-Ray simply renders
the scene without those 'invisible' triangles.

I'm only guessing why the behaviour is different for degenerate triangles
and cylinders, but:
Maybe the logic behind causing degenerate cylinders to stop the render is
because it could be difficult to determine what to show in the scene.
Degenerate triangles are invisible points or lines. If the end points of a
cylinder are the same, but it has a non-zero radius, would you show two
coincident disks or nothing at all? Alternatively, maybe the logic is that
degenerate cylinders are usually easy to find and fix, whereas, oftentimes
triangular meshes are generated by other programs and the problem can be
embedded in amongst masses of data, making it very much more difficult to
find and fix.

Regards,
Chris B.