POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 21 Feb 2009 03:37:00
Message: <499fbd2c@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I would estimate that mine lets the rear wheels slide about 30-50 cm
> sideways, then it pulls it back in line, it usually happens so fast on
> snow/ice that it's hard to tell what's going on.

I'd say between 50cm and 1m with Audi, having plenty of time to notice.

>> BMW?
>
> Yep 120d so the turbo makes the power a bit on/off with the throttle, a
> petrol would be better for controlling the power IMO.

It's just stupid not to supercharge the engine. But yes, turbocharged
petrol is less than three :).

> Also if I just
> tap the ESP-disable button (rather than hold it down for a few seconds)
> it puts it into some kind of 50% help mode, maybe that will let you have
> more fun but still stop you from losing control completely, IDK, maybe I
> will try it again when we have some more snow on the roads.

Same for me - it first drops the ASR (which basically is just traction
control system and disabling it on B8 is just... worthless), hold it
longer and it disables the ESP.

> Mine seems to correct understeer too, which is quite handy when driving
> a bit faster than you should be on snow :-)  - I saw the tyre tracks of
> where someone else had gone off onto the grass and thought I was going
> there too for a moment :-)

That's pretty much what Audi's ESP also should do, especially while B8
is extremely understeering car. People say that old Saabs (99,900) tend
to understeer, but comparing to B8, you can drift half the world with 900.

-Aero