POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light Diffusion : Re: Light Diffusion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light Diffusion
From: CShake
Date: 21 Feb 2009 00:48:21
Message: <499f95a5@news.povray.org>
Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> Here it is.

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/thread/%3Cweb.4668123c7fc265f0ff6e04e90@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=282988&toff=200

> -tgq

Thanks, but I want to keep the spotlight a single source because I'm
trying to simulate a theatrical lighting instrument as closely as
possible. The type of fixture I'm modeling after has a ellipsoidal
reflector at the back of the instrument around a single lamp [bulb],
lenses in the body tube, and a frame at the front of the tube that
different colors and diffusion sheets can be placed in.

The whole body and lenses assembly basically focuses the light into
exactly what at spotlight in povray does (with cosine focus, field angle
and beam angle, etc), and placing a diffusion sheet in front of the
lenses makes the whole light spread out more. The only real difference
between what I'm doing with a 'diffusion sheet' in front of the
spotlight source and the real instrument is that the real instrument
isn't completely in focus at that point, while the spotlight source
always is.

More info:
Light I'm modeling: http://www.etcconnect.com/minisite/sourcefour/index.html
- Note the area at the front that holds a square frame for color or
diffusion.

Example of diffusion filters:
http://www.leefiltersusa.com/lighting/products/range/ref:I46C9C14F8BA5B/

I may try to use an area light, but I know the effect can be done with a
material in the beam itself because I use it in the theater where I work.

-cshake