POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Feb 2009 17:36:56
Message: <499f3088$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:54:57 -0800, Darren New wrote:

>> 3. I don't think I can spare the time. (I have a job to do, sucky as it
>> is.)
>
> Go where they'll pay for you.  You can't reasonably do a PhD while
> you're holding down a full-time job, IMO.

Agreed.  I've got a few friends who got their PhD's and one of them made
a little money on the side playing the stock market (risky, but Tim's an
outstanding maths guy and good at research - and he took quite a while to
get his doctorate, at that), but generally it was a full-time job paid
for by grant money, like you said.

>> I seem to vaguely recall somebody (I forget who) claiming to know who
>> to go to for this kind of thing, and offering to help me arrange it.
>
> I've done it in the USA. Apparently the UK is much different. But don't
> limit yourself to the UK.  Lots of people travel abroad to do schooling
> like that.

Agreed.  Plus going to school abroad looks great on a resume.  Andy
shouldn't let his view of going to a foreign country be coloured by a few
jerks in the company he works for who happen to be based in the US.

Jim