POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr SQL Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr SQL
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Feb 2009 17:04:02
Message: <499f28d2$1@news.povray.org>
>> As I understand it, this is considered one of the "seminal texts" on
>> relational databases.
>
> It was some 25 years ago too. :-)

OK, so the book I'm worshiping is a little out of date.

Heh... you see what I just did there? :-D

>> Even I cannot comprehend the relational calculus though. Relational
>> algebra, sure. But relational calculus? Nah.
>
> Same here. I understand that SQL itself is much closer to the relational
> calculus than the relation algebra. I'd have to go back and try to read
> it again, tho.

Well, I recall a piece complaining that SQL doesn't actually follow the
relational model very closely. (E.g., you can write querires where the
ordering of colums matters. You can't treat derived relations in the
same way as base relations. etc.) They emplored vendors to add the
missing features, and generally close the gap.

This, I would assume, was completely ignored. :-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/