POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr SQL Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr SQL
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Feb 2009 14:25:10
Message: <499f0396$1@news.povray.org>
>>> One of the reasons why I am happy that I did not know of CS when I
>>> started at uni. They started a year before and somehow that message
>>> did not reach me in time, otherwise I might have studied CS. While
>>> studying physics I did a few courses at the CS department and was
>>> invariably struck by the quality of the lecturers. Did I tell the
>>> story of the teacher that could not write down the equation for a
>>> straight line?
>>
>> Heh. Well, I guess if what you happen to be doing doesn't involve that
>> equation, there's no particular reason to know it.
>
> He was giving a lecture where he needed it. Does that count?

...EPIC FAIL.

>> But yeah, generally neither the students nor the lecturers, frankly,
>> knew what they were on about. [With some notable exceptions.]
>
> That is why I advise people that are intelligent and interested in
> computers to study a real science, like physics or chemistry.

Heh. Apparently in some places, "computer science" sees you studying
Turing machines and the halting problem. I'm real glad I didn't end up
doing *that*! o_O

> So you can't compute 3x9 in your head *and* you have failed to
> understand the fundamental concept behind the periodic table. Your
> future in academia becomes bleaker every post. ;)

Well, I did try to say... :-P

>> (I had also assumed that because they're slightly bigger, there'd be
>> slightly fewer of them per unit of volume...)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_radius (where the calculate radius
> of oxygen is even less than that of hydrogen)
>
> And the radius of the atom is largely irrelevant for gasses as you could
> have known if you paid attention when the gas laws were introduced ;)

Uhuh. You realise that I've never been taught most of this stuff, right?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/