POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting GC performance test : Re: Interesting GC performance test Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting GC performance test
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Feb 2009 13:15:00
Message: <499ef324@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> But .NET, like Java, optimizes at runtime, after linking everything
> together....

Possibly, yes. I don't know it does the sort of optimization we were talking
about, which was basically escape analysis between independent assemblies.

If it does, that just goes to show the point more - you don't have to use up
all that much memory.

The naive view of garbage collection is that you run the GC when you run out
of memory, and hence you tend to take a lot of memory away from other
processes. This was the complaint Warp expressed at one point that I felt
like investigating. Apparently the GC in .NET runs even when you're nowhere
near running out of memory, which makes sense in all kinds of ways. And
there are probably pretty simple ways to dynamically tune the GC frequency
as the program runs to keep things pretty well trimmed without too much GC
overhead. Remember that the more often you GC, the less time each one takes.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"