POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 Feb 2009 10:10:57
Message: <499ec801$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> The question is: Do you think I should do a PhD?
>
> Yes?

Yes!

> Why?

What do you have to lose? You could always become a professor at the
university, teaching people signal processing theory or some such.

> 1. I am insufficiently intelligent to actually acheive a PhD. (I nearly
> failed my BSc as it is!)

I call BS on this one.

> 2. I have insufficient money. (I'm still paying for my BSc. Very slowly.)

Possible, but there are loans and grants.

> 3. I don't think I can spare the time. (I have a job to do, sucky as it
> is.)

Make time!

> 4. It is *highly* unlikely that having a PhD will make any kind of
> positive change to my employment situation. Nobody is impressed by a
> BSc, and I doubt a PhD will be any different. Everybody wants
> "experience" and/or "people skills".

It couldn't hurt.

> 5. Presumably a PhD is a serious amount of hard work. It's not exactly a
> pleasure cruise. So I'd need a good reason to do one.

Right lots of work, but you'll learn a lot and could be an interesting
journey.

> 6. I rather doubt that you can get a PhD in "doing cool stuff".
> Presumably it must be something rather more specific than that.

Depends, You'd need to do lots of research and such. But, you could pick
something that interests you and pursue that.

> 7. Where the hell am I going to do a PhD anyway?

At a university, of course!

> 8. Are you mental?

Yes, yes I am.

--