POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Feb 2009 08:10:52
Message: <499eabdc$1@news.povray.org>
>> 1. I am insufficiently intelligent to actually acheive a PhD. (I
>> nearly failed my BSc as it is!)
>
> Rubbish!  You've demonstrated several times how quickly you can pick up
> new, often quite challenging, concepts.

I guess I'm still smarting from that guy yelling at me because I keep
asking how rank-2 types work and I still can't get my head around it.

> You probably almost failed your
> BSc because there were subjects you just weren't interested in that much
> to put in the work.

Actually, I'm still not really comprehending why double-entry book
keeping is really relevant to a computer science degree, but still...

>> 2. I have insufficient money. (I'm still paying for my BSc. Very slowly.)
>
> Aren't there lots of options for getting funding?

*shrugs*

>> 4. It is *highly* unlikely that having a PhD will make any kind of
>> positive change to my employment situation.
>
> Completely incorrect, I don't even understand why you might think like
> that.

Well, everybody seemed to think that once I had a degree, people would
be falling over themselves to be the first to employ me. This is
manifestly not the case. Nobody gives a **** that I have a degree. Why
is another qualification going to be different?

>> 5. Presumably a PhD is a serious amount of hard work. It's not exactly
>> a pleasure cruise. So I'd need a good reason to do one.
>
> Because you will enjoy doing it

If it's true, that would be a valid reason.

> and will have many more employment options once you are done.

I currently doubt this one.

>> 6. I rather doubt that you can get a PhD in "doing cool stuff".
>> Presumably it must be something rather more specific than that.
>
> No s**t!  List out all the "cool stuff" you enjoy, then start searching...

I'm thinking I might make a list of cool stuff just for the hell of it,
actually. :-D