POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Epic failure #342 [31KB] : Re: Epic failure #342 [31KB] Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:56:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Epic failure #342 [31KB]
From: scott
Date: 20 Feb 2009 07:54:52
Message: <499ea81c@news.povray.org>
> Well, yes. And the terrain and so on. But remember, I drive the same route
> every day, at approximately the same speed. Driving along the motorway
> really is drastically more efficient. (Except the M45; that's uphill.)

Assuming you don't drive faster than 70mph or so, the most important factor
is how often you brake.  Braking wastes energy and is what reduces your fuel
economy.  Driving around towns and off motorways you tend to brake a lot, on
motorways you don't.  When you're driving, try to anticipate when you will
have to brake and take your foot off the accelerator earlier, your target
should be to brake as little as possible!

> What I *have* measured is that for the past several weeks, my fuel
> efficiency has been slowly decreasing. I recently had the car serviced (it
> was overdue) and it's gone up somewhat, but it's still not quite as high
> as it used to be.

Could be any number of things, air temperature, clogged air filter, leaky
exhaust, old oil, tyre pressures, how often you use headlights/heater/heated
windscreen.