POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Epic failure #342 [31KB] : Re: Epic failure #342 [31KB] Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Epic failure #342 [31KB]
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Feb 2009 06:16:22
Message: <499e9106@news.povray.org>
>> It looks pretty huge in the picture. ;-)
>
> Renault Megane 4295 x 1808 x 1471 mm
> Audi A3 4328 x 1765 x 1421 mm
>
> Seem about the same to me...

OK. I guess it just "looks" large then.

It's a bit like how the new mini somehow "looks" small, even though it's
actually bigger than almost every car on the road! o_O

>> Mind you, have you ever noticed how when you buy a cake in a shop, the
>> thing on the box always looks huge, while the contents generally don't
>> resemble it closely?
>
> I find that usually when the shop is much bigger than your house.  Like
> when my mum bought this sofa set from a shop (which is obviously vastly
> larger than her living room, and probably our whole road), when she got
> it home it looked like twice the size as the one in the shop!

Heh, yeah. But usually the picture on a cake box shows the cake on a
tiny plate, with lots of small things next to it, to make it look really
big. ;-)

Also, at work we often have these magazines like "Perfect Interiors" and
stuff. And you look at the front page and think "yeah, if my house was
that big, *I* could probably make it look good too!" :-P

>> That's almost identical to my Renault Megan. (Although it's been
>> decreasing lately...)
>
> Mine depends how fast I drive.

Well, yes. And the terrain and so on. But remember, I drive the same
route every day, at approximately the same speed. Driving along the
motorway really is drastically more efficient. (Except the M45; that's
uphill.)

> I also found out that turning the air-con off reduced the fuel
> consumption by about 3 mpg during normal driving, I wouldn't have
> expected quite that much, but there you go.

I haven't measured any difference.

What I *have* measured is that for the past several weeks, my fuel
efficiency has been slowly decreasing. I recently had the car serviced
(it was overdue) and it's gone up somewhat, but it's still not quite as
high as it used to be.