POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Feb 2009 04:08:09
Message: <499e72f9$1@news.povray.org>
>> SMTP, unfortunately.
>
> Wait, do you mean it's an *actual* mailing list?

Er, yes.

> I thought those died out, like, 10 years ago.

Er, yes.

When I originally joined the mailing list, at one point Don rightly
complained that messages from me made up 60% of the total list traffic.
Unfortunately, SMTP isn't like NNTP; it's not very easy to just ignore a
specific thread if it doesn't interest you. On a mailing list, if you
say something, *everybody* has to read through it.

I've been a lot quieter since then...

> NNTP would be a great improvement (why did they flame you for THAT?), or
> even a web-based forum (shudder!) would be better!

Somebody pointed out that a web-based forum forces you to use one
specific UI - the web forum. On the other hand, NNTP can be used from
*any* suitable client. It can also be easily archived and so forth.
Which seems like a valid point to me.

I'm still not understanding why NNTP isn't a valid solution...

(Most of the replies mumbled something about "Usenet". I have no idea
what that is or why that's relevant.)