POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fun project - point clouds : Re: fun project - point clouds Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fun project - point clouds
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 18 Feb 2009 21:01:03
Message: <499cbd5f@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:

> www.stineconsulting.com/s/anim_large.mpg

Nice!  Looking at the video it seems that the only thing which you're
lacking are tools to manage the merged point clouds -- it sounds like
you can both mesh and simplify the individual scans perfectly well.  Is
this assessment correct?

If so, is not not sufficient to get a simplified point cloud for the
entire scene by just merging the simplified clouds for each scan?  You'd
get some redundant data on the overlap, but I wouldn't think that would
increase the point count too dramatically.

With regards to generating a mesh, are you satisfied with the quality of
the meshes generated from the single scans?  If so, then it would
probably be much easier to clean up the seams when merging them than to
generate a mesh from scratch (unless, of course, one of the tools I
linked to solves everything for you).

I suppose my main question is that since it looks from the video like
you have a somewhat reasonable solution already, what about it isn't
satisfactory?