POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fun project - point clouds : Re: fun project - point clouds Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fun project - point clouds
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 17 Feb 2009 18:24:56
Message: <499b4748$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:

> a possible final result is a mesh
>
> I may use an AutoCAD 3D solid or just the simplified points themselves.
>
> I am still interested in what may work on meshes as opposed to points as
> the final product may be a mesh.

It will almost certainly be simpler to avoid attempting to reconstruct a
mesh unless you want to use some third-party software or you have a lot
of time to work on it (which as I understand you don't).  Fortunately
there is some free software you can try. Although I've never used any
myself and haven't looked into the licensing requirements I suspect most
are only available for personal use.

This one is pretty recent, and should be able to handle large number of
points pretty efficiently:

http://students.cs.tamu.edu/jmanson/programs_wavelet_reconstruct.html

This one is based on some relatively recent work from from MSR and
should also be able to manage large numbers of points:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/hoppe/proj/mlstream/

The software here is a bit older but might be useful (links at bottom of
page):

http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/scanning/

> That's some of what I've been thinking about - simplifying where
> possible, and providing some more detail where the *object* is more
> complex.
>
> I would like to figure out a relatively simple method of simplifying the
> mesh so that the actual work involved is low - even if processing time
> is high.

The conceptually simplest way to do this would be to generate a
high-detail mesh from the points and then simplify the mesh, so if you
can get a third-party mesh reconstruction algorithm to work that's a
good possibility.

I'll still see if I can think of a good mesh-free simplification
algorithm in case you can't generate a mesh.