POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fun project - point clouds : Re: fun project - point clouds Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fun project - point clouds
From: Tom Austin
Date: 17 Feb 2009 17:40:30
Message: <499b3cde$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>>
>> Methods or programs to 'simplify' the resulting point cloud so that it
>> still is a fair representation of the overall area, but has much fewer
>> points ~300k.
>>
>> Methods or programs to create a single mesh of the resulting point
>> cloud that can represent tunnels.
>>

> That's a nifty problem! I might have some ideas, but first I have a few
> questions about it:

It's actually pretty fun - if only I had lots of time to work on it!

> * I'm talking it that each scan was done from a different location, so
> while each individual scan can be represents a `spherical' cloud of
> points the union of the scans does not?

Yes - exactly

> * I assume that the final goal is the mesh and that the first task is
> just needed so that the resulting mesh is relatively small?  I ask
> because if so then it might be reasonable to generate a large mesh and
> then simplify it later, which would allow different algorithms.

a possible final result is a mesh

I may use an AutoCAD 3D solid or just the simplified points themselves.

I am still interested in what may work on meshes as opposed to points as
the final product may be a mesh.

> * In terms of simplifying the point cloud/mesh, what are the accuracy
> requirements of the simplification with respect to the density of the
> point cloud from the scans?  In other words, if the scans are very dense
> but you don't actually need that sort of accuracy in the mesh/simplified
> cloud then you can probably get away with simpler algorithms than if you
> need really high resolution in some areas and can only get away with
> discarding points which don't contribute anything useful to the
> geometry.  For instance, would it be sufficient to simplify the point
> cloud by simply discarding all points which are within, say 10cm, of
> each other?

That's some of what I've been thinking about - simplifying where
possible, and providing some more detail where the *object* is more complex.

I would like to figure out a relatively simple method of simplifying the
mesh so that the actual work involved is low - even if processing time
is high.

> * Have you tried existing approaches for generating a mesh from a point
> cloud?  If so, did they not work because you have too many points for
> them to operate effectively?

Honestly, I have not worked with anything to make a 3D mesh out of a
*unified* pointcloud of several scans.

I have made meshes out of 2D point clouds (terrain) made from several scans.

I have made 3D meshes with only 1 scan (somewhat easy).

I'll try to make some time tomorrow to post a video of what I have done
in the past so that you can get a better idea.

Tom