POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C++ / database question : Re: database Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:33:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: database
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Feb 2009 14:31:00
Message: <499b1074$1@news.povray.org>
>> In other words, you save a little bit of code, and lose almost
>> everything that makes databases useful.
>
> An OODB for the right problem can be much more scalable
> *because* you lose the ability to search.

You mean like the way SQL is more scalable *because* you can't process
the next row depending on what the previous one was?

>> Unrelated, but... it seems, intuitively, that functional programs
>> should be a much better "fit" to the relational model.
>
> Yeah. I was thinking that. Imagine STM monoid values that don't
> disappear when your program exits, for example. Sort of the same idea...

Yeah, that could work...

Of course, trouble is, almost all Haskell libraries that involve C fail
to compile on Windoze. (I'm told it's because Windows lacks a "standard"
place to put header files, etc.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/