POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C++ / database question : Re: database Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: database
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Feb 2009 13:24:37
Message: <499b00e5$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Yeah, well, I have little concept of what other kinds of databases have
> existed other than relational ones.

Relational pretty much replaced *everything*, and then along came OODBs and
along came distributed databases.

> (We did hear some talk at uni about people working on object databases,
> but nobody could really figure out precisely what such a term means...)

It means it doesn't follow the relational model, but instead the OO model.
For example, say you're using an OO language. (I'll assume you know how OO
languages work.) At some point, you say "stick this object in the database."
It says "OK." Then you can exit. When you start up again, that object is
still around, as well as anything it had pointers to in member variables.

It's nice because you can stick big blobs of data in and efficiently fetch
and store it all at once. So something like "my facebook account" would be
one record, or "this wiki page with all the history, embedded images, etc",
or Amazon with "this product, all its pictures, descriptions, reviews,
keywords, tags, etc". When much of your work is with one large record, you
can fetch it, use it, and put it back with relatively little overhead
compared to the RDBM.

The hard part is when you want to do something like (say) add up the amount
of money in all outstanding shopping carts, and you have to figure out how
to iterate over the objects without sucking the entire user's account into
memory for each one. If you can fit one entire table into memory, this is
less of a problem, but obviously still not trivial.

The advantage of an OODB is that you don't have to write a lot of code to
deal with format changes between what you store on disk and what you store
in memory. The disadvantage is that the only easy way to get to it is
usually the way it's stored in memory.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"