POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory : Re: Knot theory Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot theory
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Feb 2009 13:10:18
Message: <499afd8a@news.povray.org>
>> I'm still impressed about the guy who got a grant to find out whether
>> or not a duck's quack really does echo. WTF?
>
> I am not sure that is true.

Well, I saw the team interviewed on the local news station, together
with the duck they used for their experiments. The researcher (who
looked like a lad from down the pub to me) stated that a duck's quack
does, in fact, echo, and it is merely that ducks are not usually found
in places where you would expect to find echoes.

> Anyway I saw it both on Brainiac and on
> Mythbusters tried and falsified.

Unsurprisingly.

>> Surfing Wikipedia for a few hours is one thing. Somehow finding and
>> actually reading academic papers is much harder. (I failed epically at
>> this last time around...)
>
> I still think you should try. But there is the problem of that BSc.
> BTW I am also not very good at reading papers. I have this problem that
> I get distracted by possibly unrelated ideas popping into my head so
> often that I can hardly finish a sentence. The only place I can read
> seems to be in bath. That cuts the reading time to about an hour per
> week. I should read at least 4 or 5 hours so...

Some of the papers on GHC are really well-written. (Mind you, I showed
you SPJ's advice on writing a paper, right?)

> There should be a couple in your company. At least in the US, but given
> what you do, also at least one in the UK. (if there isn't one, that may
> explain some things).

Our boss sometimes introduces himself as "Doctor". OTOH, he's an idiot.
And a self-important idiot at that.

>> (Of course, it's not like they have labels on them, so I can't be
>> sure...) Most of the people who work here have degrees.
>
> What degrees would that be?

Chemistry, mostly.

>> Most worryingly, I don't think anybody I met at uni had a PhD
>> either... o_O
>
> Could be. In other disciplines than computer science it is quite rare
> not to have mainly PhD's in the staff.

Most of our staff seemed to be random Polish/Scandinavian/Ethiopian
people with a vague grasp of English.

Not that I wish to imply that not speaking English is a bad thing, but
when you're paid to speak to people in English, it would seem a
necessary job requirement...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/