POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Feb 2009 13:09:23
Message: <499afd53$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> So saying that one language is faster than a completely different
> language is one of those FUD overgeneralizations.

Oh, and as another example, COBOL. It's much faster to do stuff like decimal
math and print formatting in COBOL (where it's built in) than C, especially
if your processor has instructions for it.

Plus, many processors these days are built for C and are hard to change.
Back when people were loading microcode themselves, machines running LISP or
Smalltalk were quite fast compared to those machines running C with the same
instruction set. It's more like "modern instruction sets favor C-like
languages" than anything else.

Stuff like dynamic dispatch in objects could be individual CISC instructions
and greatly speed things up, for example.

I'm also not sure if some of the Java hardware dosn't run Java faster than
it would run C.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"