POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory : Re: Knot theory Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot theory
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Feb 2009 10:27:11
Message: <499ad74f$1@news.povray.org>
>> I very much doubt you can actually do a PhD in "doing cool stuff with
>> a computer".
>
> Of course you can, just substitute "cool stuff" for a subject that you
> actually find cool.

Such as...?

There's lots of stuff that interests me, but none of it is exactly "new"
or "revolutionary".

> Depends on the subject of course, but nowadays I think most journals and
> other academic resources are available online.  For a computing related
> PhD I would imagine most of your time will be spent at the computer.

Well, I guess it depends on what precisely you wanted to tackle. Either
way, I suck at research, so...

>> Meh. I doubt it. It seems everybody just asks "how many years' coding
>> experience do you have?" and "what are your customer service skills
>> like?"
>
> If you have a PhD you are not going to be applying for those sorts of
> jobs, and more importantly companies are not going to expect you to be a
> code monkey 24/7 when you are much more capable than that.

Yes, but does anybody actually employ PhDs? Most of the ones I know of
still hang around universities...

> Here's an interesting CV:
>
> http://www.geisswerks.com/ryan/resume_ryan_geiss.doc
>
> See, just write something cool *and actually finish it* and then
> everyone wants to employ you!

"Seeking: Collaboration with a group of smart, creative people, in order
to produce work of practical or aesthetic value to mankind."

...OK, that's pretty special, right there. o_O

But then, we *are* talking about the legendary Ryan Geiss... (I bet he's
Polish or something! All the best programmers are, for some reason.)