POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory : Re: Knot theory Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot theory
From: scott
Date: 17 Feb 2009 10:16:29
Message: <499ad4cd$1@news.povray.org>
> I very much doubt you can actually do a PhD in "doing cool stuff with a
> computer".

Of course you can, just substitute "cool stuff" for a subject that you
actually find cool.

> Besides, don't you have to, like, spend years searching through the
> library to find every piece of work that has ever been written about your
> subject, read and memorise it all, and then present a giant summary of it?
> Don't you have to trudge across the plains of Tibet to find an ancient
> sage to consult on the works on the Ancient Masters to see if they have
> anything relevant to add? I don't think I could do that from my desk at
> work.

Depends on the subject of course, but nowadays I think most journals and
other academic resources are available online.  For a computing related PhD
I would imagine most of your time will be spent at the computer.

> Meh. I doubt it. It seems everybody just asks "how many years' coding
> experience do you have?" and "what are your customer service skills like?"

If you have a PhD you are not going to be applying for those sorts of jobs,
and more importantly companies are not going to expect you to be a code
monkey 24/7 when you are much more capable than that.

Here's an interesting CV:

http://www.geisswerks.com/ryan/resume_ryan_geiss.doc

See, just write something cool *and actually finish it* and then everyone
wants to employ you!