POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory : Re: Knot theory Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:54:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot theory
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Feb 2009 10:11:51
Message: <499ad3b7$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook v2 wrote:

> Yay!

See, that's what I'm talkin bout! :-D

> Also perhaps worth pointing out it's only one area of study in topology.

Yeah, but topology is friggin *weird*. Knot theory makes actual sense.

> Okay let's try the trefoil knot.
>
>> - Write down a list of all the pairs of numbers at each crossing.
>
> -1, 4
> 2, -5
> -3, 6
>
>> - Throw away the lowest number in each pair (ignoring sign).
>
> Leaves 4,-5,6. Hmmm? Okay let's try that again following Dowker notation.
>
> 1,4
> 2,5
> 3,6
>
> As this is an alternating knot, no changes in signs required.
>
> Write out the odd numbers with corresponding entry beneath
>
> 1, 3, 5
> 4, 6, 2
>
> Throw away the top numbers to leave 4,6,2.

See my other reply. I've got the algorithm wrong.

>> An alternative way to describe knots is by "braid theory".
>>
>> A "braid" is a series of vertical strands. Initially, they are all
>> parallel. If you say "+3", that means that strand 3 and strand 4 swap
>> places, with strand 3 going over the top of strand 4. Alternatively,
>> "-3" means the same swap, but strand 4 going over the top.
>>
>> In this way, you can say "-3, +5, +2". This describes a sequence of
>> strand swaps, starting from the top and working downwards. Something
>> like this:
>>
>>    1   2   3   4   5   6
>>    |   |   |   |   |   |
>>    |   |    \ /    |   |
>>    |   |     /     |   |
>>    |   |    / \    |   |
>>    |   |   |   |   |   |
>>    |   |   |   |    \ /
>>    |   |   |   |     \
>>    |   |   |   |    / \
>>    |   |   |   |   |   |
>>    |    \ /    |   |   |
>>    |     \     |   |   |
>>    |    / \    |   |   |
>>    |   |   |   |   |   |
>>    1   2   3   4   5   6
>>
>> So that's a braid. Now if you imagine taking this and bending it over
>> so that the ends at the top connect with the ends at the bottom, this
>> would make a closed loop. In fact, in this case, the result would be
>> *several* closed loops. The 1 strand would be an unknot, not connected
>> to anything else. Strands 5 and 6 would become a single strand, which
>> can then be untwizzled to make an unknot. And strands 2, 3 and 4 would
>> be connected; off the top of my head, I'm not sure if this would be a
>> nontrivial knot.
>
> Trivial, It's a rubber-band twisted twice.

Probably. Actually, wait - there are only 2 crossings. No nontrivial
knot has that few. Yes, it's definitely trivial. *sigh* Rusty...

>> This has been another broadcast brought to you by an under-employed
>> computer science graduate, for the benefit of similarly
>> over-interested souls. TTFN!
>
> Interesting, polish it up and stick it on your blog.

Now, see, when I spend ages writing something like this, I kinda want
people to go "hey, that's interesting. I had no idea this crap even
existed!" But typically they go "OK, that's nice dear".

I just wish I could find a place where the stuff I know would actually
impress people... *sigh*