POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knot theory : Re: Knot theory Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot theory
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Feb 2009 09:04:10
Message: <499ac3da$1@news.povray.org>
>> 1. I barely passed my BSc. Studying something even harder would seem
>> unwise.
>
> But let me guess, you did well on some parts but badly on other parts?
> If you could study only the bits you really enjoyed and were good at,
> you would do better.

I very much doubt you can actually do a PhD in "doing cool stuff with a
computer". It's a tad vague, eh?

>> 2. AFAIK, you need an MSc before you can even attempt a PhD.
>
> Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that limitation (Engineering degrees are
> usually all 4 years so of course this limitation wasn't mentioned to us).

My course was 4 years too, but it was only a BSc. I might be wrong about
the MSc requirement, but that's what I heard.

>> 3. I severely doubt that I could actually perform a PhD at the same
>> time as doing a full-time job.
>
> Why not? You could probably do a PhD instead of posting here :-)

LOL! Yeah, right. :-P

Besides, don't you have to, like, spend years searching through the
library to find every piece of work that has ever been written about
your subject, read and memorise it all, and then present a giant summary
of it? Don't you have to trudge across the plains of Tibet to find an
ancient sage to consult on the works on the Ancient Masters to see if
they have anything relevant to add? I don't think I could do that from
my desk at work.

>> 4. I already have a BSc, and it hasn't opened any doors for me. I
>> seriously doubt a PhD would be any significant help in this direction.
>
> Oh I'm sure it would, today almost everyone has some sort of degree,
> having a PhD will make you stand out from the crowd, much like having a
> degree a few decades ago did.

Meh. I doubt it. It seems everybody just asks "how many years' coding
experience do you have?" and "what are your customer service skills like?"

> Besides, you will probably enjoy it, plus
> it will get you into an enjoyable job later.

The former, perhaps, the latter, unlikely. (So those jobs still exist?)

> But yes, it could be a bit pricey to fund yourself.

Er, yes.